No, seriously, thanks to all of you for your support and tea and sympathy. I decided that the best way to get over my mistake was to get right into the muslin for this dress. I made just the bodice muslin since the flat pattern measurements on the skirt seem right on for me. And I found a couple of interesting things about this pattern so far.
The pattern is specifically drafted with different pieces for B, C and D cups. Normally on a princess line bodice that's drafted for a B-cup, when I do a FBA, I need to lower the bust point as well as add to the pattern pieces. On this pattern, I don't need to; it's already factored into the draft, which was a nice surprise. Second thing to note is that the neckline on this baby is wide, both in the front and in the back. For most wearers, I recommend putting lingerie stays in so you don't end up slipping it off your shoulders. You can buy them from Banasch's or you can easily make your own.
The third change that I'll need to make is to the sleeves. If you look at the line drawing, you'll see that the pattern has both a 3/4 length sleeve and a cap sleeve. It's clearly drafted for the cap sleeve. The 3/4 sleeve (which is what I plan to use) was obviously an afterthought. I say that because McCalls uses the same armhole for both versions. The cap sleeve version has a lined opening below the bottom of the sleeve, so you can freely move your arm. Unfortunately, they drafted the sleeve to fit that hole. So the armhole is low and restricts movement. Also, the sleeve is tapered so it is fine at the bicep (for me anyway), but very narrow at the opening. So I have to raise the armhole so I can move my sleeve, and I will add between 3/8" and 1/2" at the sleeve end so it doesn't cut off circulation in my lower arm when I bend my elbow. I should add here that I don't have very big forearms. This is one of the very few times I have ever run into this problem.I'll do one more muslin to test the changes, then I'll cut into my fabric. More to come!
Happy sewing!

9 comments:
Good job Ann. Get right back on that muslin horse. I did. Now I'm riding Chanel!
Interesting about the sleeves. And we wonder why newer sewists get frustrated?!?
I never left a comment on the stoopid frickin plaid pants. They would have been gorgeous, but I think sometimes somethings are just not meant to be...and the universe has ways of determining that. So glad you've picked yourself up, dusted off, and moved on.
This dress will be great in selfsame plaid. Tell the plaid gremlins to go home - maybe burn some of the wool from the pant on a little feng shui plate and cleanse the corners of the sewing area, just to appease the gremlins before cutting out this plaid.
;)
Yippee I figured out my posting problem. (actually my husband did)
I bought some fuchsia wool from you to make the McCall's dress. I had just started a muslin with Vogue 8594 when I ordered the wool. I loved the fit of the Vogue pattern so much that I used the wool for that dress instead. The McCall's pattern is still on my mind and I hope to make it soon. I have been thinking about the sleeves. Do I want cap sleeves? I dislike the underarm showing. The 3/4 sleeve looks great but I do have trouble fitting my upper arms in sleeves. (the Vogue pattern is sleeveless) I was going to make a muslin with one of each sleeve and decide then. I can't wait to see your muslin and modifications. Maybe it will help me figure out my sleeve delimma.
Thanks
Kathi G
I have just purchased this pattern so many thanks for the great fitting tips and warning about the neckline.
Good for you for moving on to another project right away. Like they say, "You should always get back on the horse." Or, something like that.
I love the dress pattern. I can't believe it is drafted for different size busts. That's never happened.
THat's the spirit. I can't wait to see your dress. I think it will look lovely in plaids!
Your post touched on something that's been driving me nuts lately, all the patterns I've been muslin-ing (jackets, mainly) have really low armholes so the whole jacket moves when you raise your arm, even a little. Do you have a "benchmark" armhole depth that you shoot for in a dress and (probably different) in a fitted jacket?
Hey Ann! Some garments are possessed by evil spirits and WILL NOT turn out! ;) Glad to know it happens to someone besides me!
Brenda
I love this dress, can't wait to see it finished...
Also, despite the best efforts of our striking postal workers, I got a huge box of Gorgeous Fabric to my office in London yesterday - thank you so much! Very excited to start sewing it all together (albeit slowly and with questionable skill)...
Post a Comment