Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


Well, this week flew by with precious little to show for it. Poor DS the younger got the flu (I suspect seasonal, not H1N1, since the rest of us got seasonal flu shots and none of us have shown symptoms). He's fine now, but it meant that I didn't get much done on my dress. I have adjusted the pattern to raise the sleeve and I'll put another muslin together and post about it today. The good news about doing multiple muslins is that once I start on the final dress, it goes together really quickly. I'm hoping, now that everyone is healthy for Halloween, to get some work done on it.

Speaking of spooks, Happy Halloween! Every year we hand out candy for the kids and Witches' Brew for the grownups. It's essentially rum punch with green food coloring. Here's the recipe if you want to make your own:

1 part lemon/lime juice
2 parts simple syrup*
2 1/2 parts white or gold rum
1/2 part coconut rum
4 parts orange-pineapple juice (or to taste)
Dash (or to taste) Angostura Bitters
Green food coloring
Fresh nutmeg

*To make simple syrup, boil equal parts sugar and water together. Cool completely. Can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks


Mix all ingredients but food coloring and nutmeg together. Add food coloring until you get just the right shade of green. Pour over ice, garnish with grated nutmeg and a lime wedge. Enjoy (responsibly, of course)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. We bought boring beer and wine! With a bit of dry ice and a big cauldron, this would be so fun for the adults. Have fun tonight. Hope your son is better--the flu is in our house too! uck. Does this mean we are done for the season and immune to anymore flu bugs? ha.