Today has been one crazy day. We've had people stopping by that we hadn't seen in years, and both sons have places they had to be early. DS the elder is marching with the high school band at the Woburn Halloween Parade, a very big deal around here. DS the younger is doing an exhibition dance at Tufts University. I tried to sneak time to make my Razor Sharp Pants. I got the zipper replaced, and in doing so came up with a much better way to apply a fly zipper than any of the books and patterns tell you to. I'll do a tutorial on that at some point. So I sat down, got the inseam sewn up and went to the serger to finish the seam allowances. The phone rang. It was a minor emergency. Done, taken care of. I sat down and started serging. The phone rang again. Another very minor crisis. I sat down and continued serging. I finished the first side and the phone rang again. This time it was DS the elder trying to figure out timing for parade and Confirmation class tonight.
Finally, I get a little uninterrupted time and I start on the other seam allowance. Halfway up, I see that tragedy has struck. Somewhere between all the phone calls on the first side, I managed to serge the center of the pant leg front into the seam allowance, cutting a big hole in the process.

Yep, that would be in front, at mid-thigh. There's nothing to do with it but drop back and punt. Here's the heartbreaking end to a frustrating project....

I think someone was trying to tell me something with these pants. They were just never meant to happen. I still have lots of this fabric left, and I really love it (sniff, sniff!) so I am going to start on my McCalls Dress. And this time I'm
not answering the phone.
36 comments:
Oh crap, that's so disappointing! I've had similar sewing mishaps myself and it's damned vexing when they occur! Chin up, and move on to the next outfit!!
I am so sorry. I sympathize with you. I am dangerous with sergers. I had a knitting disaster so I am right there with you.
Oh! That's horrible! It is just too wonderful a fabric to leave it. Use the fronts for the small pieces on the dress, maybe put in a center back seam for the bodice if there already isn't one. Or make a button closure for the front - that would be really neat!
Just please-please-please DO NOT give up on the pants!!! They are so gorgeous!!
Oh! That's horrible! But you still CAN make the pants! Use the fronts for the small pieces of the dress, put in a center back seam on the bodice if there already isn't one. Or make a front button closure, which could be really neat! What ever you choose, DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE TRASH!! You do need a fabulous go-with-anything pair of trousers like these, whatever roadblocks you might encounter on the way!
Ouch. That hurts. I sympathize with you. Your sewing is always so lovely.
OH I am so sorry. That is the kind of thing that happens to me all to often, probably one of the reasons I can't get much sewing done now, the interruptions ruin it for me.
Can't wait to see your dress though.
Oh no!! The sewing gods are testing you. My suggestion is to sew a patch from the same material and give them to the needy.
That's awful. It's such nice fabric, too. Hopefully you can ultimately salvage them.
Oh no! And such nice fabric too, what a shame.
Come and mourn with me. I had a wretched week with a scorching incident.I think you were there for me then,so I will reciprocate. Throw them out as quickly as you can and save no remnants that will remind you of today. And......get to work on something else that will restore your faith as quickly as possible.....
Jeez-o-petes, there's a lot of that going on lately... what a shame. "Wasn't meant to be" is the best attitude to take!
What a shame!
I am looking forward to the tutorial, though. I still can't get that RS fly in right, and I want to make that kind of waist on other pants.
Woops! Really pretty fabric too. If you mean a tutorial on how to make a fly front in a faced pant, I am really looking forward to seeing how you do it. The instructions that come with this pattern are poor to say the least. It's also very awkward.
Oh No! I hate when that happens! I have done that myself several times and it is always frustrating
Oh, how upsetting! My solution would be to throw the whole shebang in some hot water, cold rinse in the washer and dryer and just felt those babies. When you see them all shrunk and felted at your own whim it will be like sweet revenge. And you could maybe do a hat or bag out of the felted wool. So sorry you have had to deal with this frustration. We have all been there.
Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Weep. I'm sure a clever woman like you will find a way of recycling the fabric. Bunny's idea has a certain relish to it. A skirt you could have covered over the cut with some embellishment. But trousers, I don't think so!
Sorry to take pleasure in your misery, but you have no idea how gratifying it is to learn that even the experts can make the same mistakes I make! Perhaps there's hope for me yet!
Ouch! That's hard. I hope your next project goes more smoothly!
I have not done this in a long time; therefore it is bound to happen again in the future. I am due. Lovely fabric and glad you have more to make something else from it.
Awww, that is awefull. I am so sorry for you, what a shame!
Done that also, although not with such nice fabric. Are there any re-weavers near by? Or as others suggested - use the wounded part for the dress, and re-cut the front? Although I can understand if you don't want to re-do the zipper yet again.
Bad karma. While reading this I broke my nail.
I know just how you feel!!
That is just sad. :(
Oh, misery. Definitely ditch the phone.
Oh, that's terrible! That fabric is so beautiful!
Oh no! My heart started to pound a little faster when you answered that phone the last time...I knew it wasn't going to end well...and I almost didn't scroll down...because I just didn't want to know...*sigh*
Hopefully the dress will be so amazing that you will forget the heartbreak of the pants!
Awwww, you're just doing this to make us feel better....
Cheers and don't sweat the Small Stuff (comparatively).
Hi I do see someone else mentioned reweavers. I did have two different woven skirts get damaged (one was my favorite that get caught on a nail and an outdoor restaurant) One of my dry cleaners had a weaver and you could never tell where the rip had been (even from the back) !
I will always try to save a tear.
Bummer. Well, I had to trash something that wasn't working for a client this week - she and I both agreed, pitched it in the trash and moved on without guilt. I know you'll make something next that is more fab than those pants anyway.
Make a dog coat from the "frickin'" wool! That's what I do with a lot of my scraps, but I dress my dog because she's small (a 4lb. yorkie) and she looks cute and silly in clothes.
Son of a SeaCook, that is frustrating. I've been there, and you're right that you moved on!
How awful! I have a bit of a love/hate relationship going on with my serger too. The last time this happened to me (on a dress) I cried...it is so heartbreaking when you put all that effort in only to have it come to nothing.
The fabric is so beautiful it would be a shame to waste it. I think it could be incorporated into a handbag or two quite nicely.
Arabella
Damn...too bad. I just hate when that happens !
I did the same thing once!! I got so mad!! hahahah
Post a Comment