Sizing: 36-44. I cut a 40
Fabric Used: Double Faced Wool Jersey in Chocolate/Tan from Gorgeous Fabrics. That colorway's sold out, sorry, but it's still available in Navy/Blue. I'd been looking for a pattern that would take highlight the reversibility of the jersey, and when I saw this, Eureka! I knew I had found the perfect combination.
Needle/Notions Used: Stretch 75/11 needle, standard polyester thread, scraps of fusible interfacing.
Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes
How were the instructions? Typical BWOF, meaning useless. The good news is that this top goes together easily. The only tricky part to it is the placket in the front. That's not even that hard if you have a decent tutorial or book on inserting a placket. You can use a sleeve placket tutorial like this one, and just ignore the tab at the end of the placket. Once the placket is in, it's a piece of cake.
Construction Notes: I added 1/4 inch seams to the pattern. They recommend 5/8 inch seams, but you can't do that on the placket opening for the front. At most there you have room for 3/8 inch seam allowances. Since I was going to serge the seams in most cases, I decided to just use 1/4 inch all around.
I checked the length on me before I cut it out. It's long! I'm pretty average height (5 foot 6 inches). I didn't add any hem allowances, and in fact, I used a 7/8 inch double hem. Even so it hits me at mid thigh. So Summerset? Yes, it would probably be closer to dress-length on you.
Any design changes? I used the reverse face (the tan face) for the back placket facing. Other than that, no.
Likes/Dislikes: Love it! It's very comfortable. The one modesty issue to note that it (like almost every BWOF pattern) is very low cut. It's designed to be worn over a camisole or other top. If you want to wear it by itself, shorten the placket and placket opening by at least an inch, probably closer to two inches.
Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? Yes and yes. This is a great pattern that goes together quickly. I think I spent about 3 hours in all, including tracing it off.
Conclusion: Definitely a winner. Here it is on Shelley. At some point I'll get DH to take pictures of me in my latest creations, but the weather has been lousy and we've both been really busy.
Well, time to get cracking on the sides for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner. Happy sewing!


14 comments:
Yum--that looks so cozy. Enjoy!
Really nice, especially in the double faced fabric.
Love that! You're right, that fabric was absolutely made for that top!
It sounds lovely. Do you find wool jersey to be itchy?
I like this pattern a lot. Assuming we get the December BWOF before next winter I will make this for sure. It's a great thing for wearing around the house without looking slobby. The fabric is lovely, too!
Love it! I'm think yes, it could be a dress, with maybe a couple more inches. Over a turtleneck and tights, it could be really comfy and reallly cute!
YUMMY! I love it! Love the double faced fabric
I love it! You are fast on this one, Ann!!! I've barely had time to glance at this issue, and you've already knocked one out (of the park)! Have a great Thanksgiving!
Perfect jacket for a football game or hockey!
Cute hoodie - boy that was fast! Is the magazine even cold yet!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Just the kind of top I love. Beautiful fabric choice, Ann. BTW...thank you for informing us that the turkey is the MA state bird. I didn't know that, nor did I know about the custom of cooking and eating one's state bird. Mockingbirds, beware.....
Love the hoodie. Thanks for the construction notes, because I think I wanna make this one up too.
Oh and I absolutely adore the sweater knit and tweed fabrics I bought from you. Thank you!!!
Looks fabulous -- stylish and comfy!
That is really stunning! I think I have a double-sided wool jersey in my collection somewhere that would be perfect for this. Since I'm 5'3" I just may lengthen into a dress!
Post a Comment