Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pattern Review - Hotpatterns Uptown Downtown Knit Dress

... But this one will be my Thanksgiving dress!



Pattern Description: From Hotpatterns' website - "Simple to make and easy to wear, this super-cool Dress is a great modern take on the classic sweatshirt, and works in all sorts of knits...try T-shirting, silk-y jersey, sweatshirting, double or single knits, or ribbed knit fabrics. Use contrast or matching ribbing or self fabric to finish the neckline, hem & sleeves. Relaxed-fit Dress has a scooped balletstyle neckline and a choice of cap, elbow length or full length raglan sleeves with an overarm seam for a superior fit. Bodice can be worn bloused over the elasticated waist or dropped down onto the upper hip. Skirt finished just below the knee. We’ve included instructions for the optional narrow and Obi-style tie belts, plus the infinity scarf. Depending on your fabric and sleeve length choices, this is a true year-round style...wear it with knee high boots or opaque tights and a chunky heel when it’s chilly, try it with sheer nylons and a chic heel, or team it with strappy sandals for warm-weather style."

Sizing: 6-26. I made a size 12

Fabric Used: NY Designer Midweight Rayon Jersey - Heathered Chocolate from Gorgeous Fabrics (of course!)

Needle/Notions Used: Well, I sewed most of this on my industrial Juki but the one part I didn't, I used a Stretch 75/11 needle and that's what I recommend for working with this fabric. The only other notion I used was 1/4 inch elastic.

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes, most definitely!

How were the instructions? They were fine. This is a beginner-rated pattern, and it went together in under 2 hours (after tracing my size).

Construction Notes: Nothing really. I've read some reviews where folks have said they would do the waistline elastic insertion differently, but I didn't have any problem with it.

Any changes? Hotpatterns recommends using ribbed knit. I had a lead on a knitting company here in the States to manufacture 2 to 4 inch ribbed knit, but it appears they went out of business recently. :( So I used self fabric instead and it turned out great.

Likes/Dislikes: LOVE. IT.

Let me say it again: LOVE. IT. Not just because I am a fan of Hotpatterns in general. This is a great little dress that looks terrific on lots of different body types. It's also going to be great for Thanksgiving. Drapey, flattering, and turkey-forgiving. What's not to love?

Also, I really like the fact that all the edges are finished with a folded knit edging. Hotpatterns recommends using rib knit. A friend gave me the name and address of a US-based rib knit manufacturer and I wanted to source from them. But alas, they seem to have gone out of business. Sigh. So I used self fabric and that worked beautifully with this knit.

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? Oh god, yes, I'll make this in lots of fabrications. Really. I don't gush about many patterns but this one is great and goes together quickly. It's flattering and you can dress it up or down.


Conclusion: Big winner! Here's my finished version with a belt and boots. I'll probably use a different belt (off to Nordstroms tomorrow). But I love it with boots and it's so comfy! Here's a picture of the finished version on Shelley.

20 comments:

Lori said...

That looks fantastic, I just pulled up your PR review and from the picture thought, I gotta get that pattern!

Ann Made Studio said...

Love this dress. After seeing yours and Mary Beth's I just might have to get the pattern.

Mary Beth said...

Hey, I had to make myself stop at 3 versions of this pattern but I sure could have kept going :) Yours looks yummy!

Erica Bunker said...

I love this! Looks great with the belt and boots!

JoanneM said...

Fantastic ensemble. Well done!

Eugenia said...

I think I really have to get this pattern - your dress looks great and I love the way that you have styled it.

Unknown said...

You and lots of others are raving about this pattern. Think I'll add it to my Christmas wish list!

gwensews said...

Great dress, and it would travel beautifully.

Michelle said...

Your dress looks fantastic, it will be perfect for the holiday! I have made three of these already, and I LOVE it, I wear mine constantly!

Laura Lee said...

Ouch! I love it!!! Great styling too with the accessories!

Lisa Laree said...

Having a twinset made in that fabric, I can imagine how marvelous it feels to wear the dress! Lovely! ;)

Gigi said...

That is the perfect thing to wear on Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Wow, comfortable and very chic looking. I love the brown color.
Great review!

Pam Erny said...

Oh Ann..your dress is Fabulous!
I am SO glad I bought this pattern!

And after seeing your dress, I wish it was already here..I'd sew it this afternoon !

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Ann! I want to see it on YOU! :)

Patty said...

My pattern for this dress arrived in the mail this week, and I can't wait to get started. Hope mine turns out to be as lovely as yours!

Linda L said...

Very nice!

Bunny said...

Great dress! I can see this being a TNT workhorse.

Karin van Dam said...

What a great dress, it looks very stylish and comfy at the same time. Nice!

amber said...

This pattern is soooo on my Christmas list. :) Looks awesome!