Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pattern Review - McCalls 5971 Dress

This was going to be my Thanksgiving dress.



Pattern Description: From McCalls' Website - Fitted, low neckline dresses A, B with lined bodice, midriff and sleeves, have princess seams, sleeve variations, pleated skirt, front and darted skirt back with slit, back zipper closing and above mid-knee length; pattern pieces included for A/B, C, D cup sizes.

Sizing: 4-18. I made a 14, but I shoulda made a 12.

Fabric Used: Super gorgeous Loro Piana wool plaid/tweed. How fabulous is this fabric? So fabulous. It's so soft; it works beautifully for just about anything you want to make from it. But unfortunately, it's not immune to stupid mistakes. For the lining, I used Lightweight Bemberg Lining in Sedona Sunset.

Needle/Notions Used: Universal 70/12 needle. Pro Tailor Fusible Interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.

Did it look like the photo or drawing when you got through? Yes, after some alterations.

How were the instructions? Lousy. I didn't care for McCalls instuctions, so I did them my own way.

Construction Notes: This pattern is drafted for the cap sleeve version. The long sleeve version is clearly an afterthought. Check out the posts I did here, and here to see the changes I made to the pattern. The fit also ran VERY large. You should think about going down a size on this pattern.

Likes/Dislikes: I like the lines. I like the different cup size drafting. I wish McCalls would get their act together when it comes to fit. Vanity sizing in patterns? There is no need folks.

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it? I won't do it again. It's a lovely pattern, but it requires a lot of work to get it to the right size. But it shows off the plaid beautifully and I do like it for that.

Conclusion: It's a winner, but honestly? It was only two steps away from being a wadder. Here's the picture of it on Shelley.

Happy sewing!

23 comments:

Lori said...

It looks great, you can't tell it was anywhere close to being a wadder.

Ann Made Studio said...

It looks beautiful. I like the lines of this dress and the fabric sounds wonderful.

Erica Bunker said...

You really made it work Ann! I would have never guessed from looking it, that you had any problems. It looks great!

Sherril said...

Genius to sew it in a plaid. I love the color as well. I think this would be lovely in a solid too and could look completely different.

JoanneM said...

DO NOT WAD THIS. It is lovely. This is my kinda dress. Love it. Truly.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

All of your hard work definitely shows. I don't understand how this amazing dress was almost a wadder though?

Kathi said...

The dress is absolutely gorgeous. I know what you mean about the sizing. I don't know why they can't just be consistent. It is so frustrating. If a person is new to sewing, I can't imagine how he/she would ever learn or finish a garment.

Gail said...

I wouldn't have thought to sew this dress in plaid. It works well.

Eugenia said...

This dress looks wonderful - it really is a winner and that fabric is so beautiful.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear it was such a pain, but the final product is really lovely. Thanks for the warning, but you did a fabulous job!

Lilian said...

I have one word for this dress: Wow !!

Julie said...

I have this pattern and was wondering how the fitting would go. Thanks for your notes. I personally love your dress. From reading your comments, I can see how this easily could end up as a wadder. Glad you finally found something to make from that beautiful fabric.

Digs said...

It's beautiful, what made it an almost-wadder? Will you model it for us?

Patty said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Perfect!!!!

Linda L said...

Great looking dress. Glad it did not end up a wadder. I just had one of those. Really lovely fabric.

Bunny said...

Lovely dress, particularly in the plaid. This is not a wadder to be!

AuntieAllyn said...

Oh my goodness, this is just too gorgeous!!! I bet it looks even better on you than it does on Shelley!

phyllis said...

If I wasn't so far along on my Burda plaid dress I'd wad it! It won't be ready for Thanksgivng alas.

Karin van Dam said...

I think it's a lovely dress. I wouldn't have guessed you had so many problems wth it, it looks very nice!

Angela said...

Fabulous dress!! I absolutely love it and great fabric!

Summerset said...

It turned out wonderfully. Your pairing of fabric and pattern is excellent - it shows of the plaid and that dress will show off you.

Cennetta said...

Absolutely lovely, Ann. It's been awhile since I visited and I've missed out of a lot of inspirational posts and beautiful garments. Still playing catch up. ;-)