Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to...

...the doctor's office.

Honestly, I've spent more time in doctors' offices in the last two weeks than I ever wanted. You know, when something like this happens, you just have to shrug your shoulders, set your spine and face it with a sense of humor and determination. So for your amusement, here are a few snippets from the last few weeks.

First off, I give you my new theme song, from the Tony Award® winning Broadway musical, "Avenue Q". The opening song, It Sucks to be Me!


Next up, some snippets of conversations and readouts. You say and see the damnedest things in meetings and reports like these. For instance....

Me: "Jeez honey, I've been felt up more in the last week and a half than I have before in my entire life!"
DH: "Boy, if I had only known, I would have changed my major in college and gone to med school!"
*smack!*

Doctor: "You're not a candidate for Medicine a, but Medicine B is just as effective, maybe more so. The thing is that we'll have to surgically induce menopause."
Me: "Okay, so about this surgically induced menopause - can I get a tummy tuck out of the deal?"

Doctor: "It's spiculated."
Me: "Oh, that sounds so... kinky!"

From a report: "The patient has a paucity of fat in her abdominal cavity."
Me: "Well, shit yeah, I've worked out 4 days a week for the last 25 years. I better have a paucity of fat, dammit!"

"I'm going to start putting notches in my belt every time some new person fondles me."

Doctor: "I need to ask you a question." (gets very earnest look on face)
Me: "Okay"
Doctor: "Is there any possibility at all that you might want to have another baby?"
Me: "Hell no!!!"
(both laugh)

In all seriousness, thank you to everyone for all your kindness, good thoughts, prayers and sweet notes. It's really touching in a way I can't describe without kvelling. I'll take them all; please keep them coming. Everything will be okay, and I'm going to beat this little bastard. In the meantime, life will go on. And speaking of which, I'm going to start on a Jalie top for my niece for Christmas. I had hoped to have it done by now, but as you can imagine, I kinda got sidetracked. I'm making her this Jalie top:

From this Fabulously Cozy Cotton Sweater Knit from Gorgeous Fabrics (natch!)

I think she'll like it, and it will be super cute on her. Stay tuned and I'll review it in the next day or two.

Happy sewing!

23 comments:

Myra said...

Ann, hope everything comes out for you. Will say a prayer for you. Can't wait to see the top for your niece. I bought that pattern recently but have not had time to use it for my daughter.

JoanneM said...

Paucity of fat in the abdominal cavity.
Don'that take the cake.
Hang in there Ann. Prayers are coming your way.

Sherril said...

Asking a woman of our certain age (although I am probably older) if we want more kids, how ridiculous. Sounds like you are keeping your sense of humor, which will go a long way toward healing. Take care of yourself and let others take care of you as well. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

BJ said...

This is exactly the kind of post I've come to expect from you - in spite of everything, you haven't lost your sense of humor! Will keep you in my prayers. Many hugs.

CarlaF-in Atlanta said...

My prayers are with you!!!

Kathi said...

I have been thinking about you - glad to see you are posting and able to laugh about your situation. That will help get you through so much!
What on earth is a "paucity of fat"?
Doctors are a completely different breed. Surgeons are blunt and just don't think before they blurt out truths. Oncologists tend to be a little more understanding and soothing.

On a different note, that fabric looks really neat!

a little sewing said...

Thanks for sharing your journey and your humor with us. It could happen to any one of us. We are with you.

Sue said...

It sounds like you have been having a real rough trot lately - keep your sense of humour, it will help you through this. All the best...

Sigrid said...

How aweful this is happening. Keep up your spirits and take care of yourself.

AuntieAllyn said...

Keep laughing and sewing as much as you can . . . that combination gets me through tough times. Glad to see you're posting again, loved the video!!!

Unknown said...

Paucity? Learned a new word today, thanks! Like BJ said, I'm glad to see that you sound like yourself in the face of all these challenges. Hugs and prayers continue....

Anonymous said...

Ann - your positive attitude will do wonders for you in the long run! Sending prayers your way!

Rebecca said...

You are definitely going to beat this thing. Keep laughing and most certainly keep swearing.

Anonymous said...

Ann scary yes, very scary.You will get thro this. So far I will be 6 1/2 years down this road very soon. Thoughts, best vibes and prayers are with you.
You are going to find out so many good things about yourself in the next while.Not a great way to do it as we know.
If you are having surgery my advise is ,as told to me by a lady now 20+ years down this road. Do your phyiso everyday.Do what YOU want.And positivity gets you thro.

I am sure you have loads of people to help and support you.
Hope you don't mind me intruding.

Keep singing and of course sewing.
So So X

Elle said...

Oh the betrayal of this frail frame that gives house to the spirit. Your spirit is so strong, it comes through in your posts, over the phone, and probably 100x magnified in person. It will carry you through this. My best wishes go out to you also.

Denise said...

Love the Avenue Q clip. My personal favorite from the show is "The Internet is for Porn." Adorable top - can I be your niece, too? It's wonderful you're keeping your sense of humor intact. Kick that bastard's ass, girl.

gidgetsews said...

yes you keep on going, girl. I'm sending love from michigan, and all positivity.

Shannon said...

If anyone is going to beat this bastard, it`s you. Your positive attitude and strong will are inspiring.

Dawn said...

You can beat it. Like Shannon said, if anyone can, it's you. :) *hugs*

Summerset said...

It's wonderful to see that you've kept your strong sense of humor, spirit and wits about you through all of this! Truly, your character is inspiring to all who have to go through the same issues. Hugs to you and keep putting on that happy face!

Bunny said...

Love your attitude, so to be admired. Prayers and hugs for you.

amber said...

Love and hugs and prayers coming your way.

Kitty Couture said...

Keep on being your strong, wonderful self, Ann, and everything *will* go well. Sending hugs!