Monday, December 14, 2009

For Once I Wish it WASN'T All About Me

We have a running joke in my family that "It's all about me, all the time." Not just me Ann, but any of my siblings as well. It's just one of those sayings we have.

I kinda wish it wasn't all about me. After last week's diagnosis, I've spent more time talking about myself than I ever wanted to. Hell, even I'm sick of me! I find that the best remedy is to spend time with my family and to sew. So this weekend I finished the curtains for the family room.

Now of course, I have to redecorate the rest of the room, since it doesn't match the old color scheme. But it's bright; it reminds me of the Caribbean, and since the curtains are lined with flannel, they keep the room incredibly warm.

And now, a word from our sponsor... (bad language alert)

Folks, I try not to preach much, but I need to say something here. If you are a woman over age 40, make sure you have your annual mammogram. Fuck those bastards at the USPSTF. Mammograms work. And anyone who is an apologist for their recommendation that women in low risk groups (that would be me) under the age of 50 (that would be me) don't need annual mammograms? Take a good look at me, and try telling me to my face that the amount spent on mammograms to find the low percentage of breast cancer in that population isn't worth it. I'm worth it. And any woman is worth it. Ladies, get your mammograms. If you're due or overdue for one, call and schedule it. You could be saving your own life.

That concludes the high-horse portion of today's show.

Parting Shot - Mele Kalikimaka!


Some day I'll spend Christmas and the holidays in a place where I can hang ornaments on a real palm tree!

Happy sewing!

74 comments:

a little sewing said...

Sing it sister.
I have been letting it slide, but no more. The phone call gets made today, the appointment gets scheduled today.

Just do it.

And your curtains look very cute.

SewingLibrarian said...

Amen, sister! I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way....
Linda

Denise said...

How freakin' happy are those curtains? Just looking at that room makes me smell the tropics. Denise.

gwensews said...

But right now, it IS all about you, and rightly so. And it's ok. Do whatever you have to do to be well. Sending good thoughts your way.

Carol said...

Today is the first anniversary of my mother's death from breast cancer. I am 47 and started having mammograms when my mother was diagnosed. It's not easy to gain access to these tests in a small country town where even the hospital is in danger of closing, but have them I do. And it costs me.

As for christmas in a warm climate, don't be in a rush. The weather here this past two weeks has been in the high 30's to low 40's (celsius that is). It hasn't rained and the grass is crispy. This morning it is overcast, so at least it is cooler. As for the palm trees themselves, let me tell you that they are the greatest pains in the arse you will ever have in your garden! The fronds don't break down and they drop a LOT of them. I have spent the last three years slowly chopping down every palm tree on my property.

Be kind to yourself and feel whatever you feel. It IS all about you at the moment, so take the love that everyone offers. I'm sending some your way.

Vicki said...

So now I understand your cryptic posts...sending you lots of good vibes. I had a mammogram a few weeks ago, after putting it off for a long time. Mine was clear thank God. And your curtains look very Caribbean!

ClaireOKC said...

So true about the annual mammogram - double dito here....and include your annual pap - that's how I found my cervical cancer (BTW, 26 year survivor!!! I'll probably die of mouthing off to someone!). Those annual exams are crucial - even when you think you can't afford it.

Anonymous said...

Your courage in the face of a BIG SCARY THING like breast cancer is very inspiring. I want to be like you. Courageous, cheerful (at least cheerful sounding posts)and warrior like about fighting the illness. I have never met you but I deeply admire you.
becky@mckeent.com

Summerset said...

There are some times when it does need to be about you. You do a lot to bring joy and happiness to others through your singing, sewing, fabric business and just being you. I think a little love for you is in order. Hugs and good luck to you!

Naomi G said...

All good and strong thoughts coming your way Anne! Do and feel all that you need to!

Kira said...

Words so well said!! Sending strength and well wishes!!

Digs said...

Yes, I was also wondering what prompted your last two posts. It must've been a very difficult week for you. My warmest wishes for prompt effective treatment plus a rapid and full recovery.

HelenK said...

As a Canadian, we don't automatically get mammograms until we are 50. I have had to ask for them. It's important to get a baseline done and then annual mammograms after that. The Cancer Society sells this thing called a Thingamabob keychain that shows the various sizes of lumps, represented with beads with and without mammogram detection. I really should get one of those things as a reminder. Thanks Ann, for saying what needs to be said and my heartiest, healthiest thoughts and prayers are with you.

HelenK said...

Sorry for another post, however the keychain is called a THINGAMABOOB! It's sold by the Canadian Cancer Society as a fundraiser and educational tool.

Bunny said...

Your mammo issues with what has been going on politically with mammograms is just too timely. When I heard the
"new" recommendations I was bull---t. I never heard such crap. I am so glad you have come forward to express your feelings on this issue and I pray for a healthy outcome for you.

BetsyV said...

I'll light a candle for you, Ann. It worked for a gym friend of mine, who had a much better outcome from her surgery last week than she anticipated based on her diagnosis of an invasive form.

And, much as I don't enjoy them, I get my mammo in the springtime.

Anonymous said...

Sing it, sister! You'll make it through stronger than ever! My 34 year old coworker was just diagnosed.. that's when I started doing exams (I'm 32).

Jeanette said...

Hi Ann, sorry you have to go through this, but glad you had a mammogram. I had a preventative mastectomy almost 2 years ago and it was worth it to quit worrying about breast cancer. Hope whatever treatment you need to have goes smoothly!

Anonymous said...

Big Hugs to you! Take care of yourself!

Kristen

JoEllen said...

I have been there. So I know exactly how scary that dx. is. I am 6 yrs post lumpectomy. I was in my early 50s when I was diagnosed. It was caught early. You are so right about the new guidelines. So you need to do whatever it takes because as everyone has said, it is about you. A good support system is everything. Good luck.

Unknown said...

More hugs to you from Michigan, where I too wish to spend some future Christmas with a margarita in hand as I bask on a beach. You're in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

It IS all about you! Take care and I wish you the very best. You are an amazing person and I know you will be triumphant!
Kathy in Omaha

Christina said...

Wow. Sending positive vibes your way, I'm so glad you got screened. Take care and keep us updated!

Jessica said...

Best wishes and prayers.

Shannon G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Best wishes, Ann. I know you well enough to know you will kick adversity in the a@@. Your curtains are wonderful, and to me, have a retro/celebratory vibe. Perfect for winter, to warm things up a bit, and also just as appropriate in summer!

Judy in Pasadena, CA said...

Sending prayers and good vibes your way!

deb said...

Thanks for telling the feds where to go put it. We all should. I work in public health. Health is not supposed to be about a cost-benefit analysis. I'm 41 and never had a mammo. Gonna sign up and thumb my nose at the recommendations too. You never know.

elizabeth said...

sending you all the best wishes i can think of. talk about fabulosity--you have just given new meaning to Gorgeous.

Gigi said...

Sending you big hugs and kisses! Check my blog for a little Christmas cheer from the tropics. :-)

Ann Made Studio said...

Sending you strength and best wishes.

Christina said...

Ann, you will get through this. Take it one step at a time.

I was 44, had no family history, breast fed my children, ate right, worked out, and never smoked. The reality is that the people being diagnosed today are women (and men) who do not 'fit' into any high-risk groups. Mammograms DO save lives.

Sending good thoughts and wishes your way. Do what makes you happy (sewing! :-) because happiness is the best therapy EVER.

Hang in there,
Christina

Dana said...

Ditto to ALL the above comments! Just have to chime in about a monthly self-exam. Mine probably could have been detected at stage 1(the size of a pea) instead of 2-1/2 (the size of a golf ball) if I'd been doing them. I'm a proud 5-year survivor and there are thousands more out there.

Marji said...

You kick it sister, and I'll invite you to spend a Christmas on the boat in a place like Antigua. - might ask you to sing for your supper though ;)

Sending hugs, prayers, and good vibes.

spottedroo said...

That is a big scary thing. Hugs and best wishes. Keep doing the things that keep your spirits up!

Margaret Weant said...

I am with you all the way. I know so many women who are survivors of breast cancer only because a very small issue was detected in a routine mammogram. I was shocked at the new recommendations and have no intention of following them.

But I can afford to pay out-of-pocket for my mammogram if necessary - what happens to all of those women who can't?

My thoughts and encouragement are with you all the way!

Margaret Weant

anita said...

Thank you for your post - well said!! Sending more hugs and prayers your way...

Rose said...

I'm sending you thoughts of strength and good humor, Ann. And thank you for the kick in the pants to remind me to schedule my Dr's appointment.

Rose in SV

PS--your curtains look great.

Anonymous said...

Courage. A year ago my wonderful husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It's been a gorgeous agony, appreciating the hell out of each other and the time we've been able to spend together. Wrenches your values smartly into perspective.

I'm learning that courage, to a large degree, is a decision. After all, one doesn't want to spoil whatever time is left, with negativity. Sending healing thoughts to you. Miriam

kiltsnquilts said...

More good thoughts and wellbeing vibes on their way from me - I admire your courage at this time.

Oh, and I have lived in NZ for 5 years and dont' think I will ever get used to a warm weather Christmas :-) Seeing your snow makes me homesick!

Anne Frances said...

Every good wish and yes to getting the checks done. Here they are free and quite easily available on the National Health Service, thank goodness, but you still have to take the trouble to get them done. But I know you'll do well and I love the curtains - what a difference a warm lining makes!
Anne Frances

Elaray said...

A big strong "DITTO", a big strong AMEN and a big strong HUG

Els said...

Wish you all the best and sending positive vibes.
xxx

JustGail said...

Sending good thoughts your way! This just s*cks big time. As far as being on your high horse, sometimes you gotta get up high where your voice will carry farther!
Love the curtains and Hawaiian Christmas tree.

NuJoi said...

I wish you continued strength and courage! My sister-in-law is a survivor.

Noile said...

The part of the recommendations I loved best was the rationalization that a false-positive would cause women too much stress. As if an uncaught positive would be a cakewalk. And as if women aren't strong enough to cope with learning that their tentative positive turned out to be a negative.

The real lesson is that YOU are the only one who matters - testing of all kinds needs to be done based on your (and your doctor's) assessments, and based on your own situation, not on a generic ruling by a committee that doesn't have a clue.

Hmm, soap box much?

Wishing you the very best -- and so glad that your fighting spirit is up (and at your sewing machine!).

Bunny said...

Ann, I wish you the best. I know you will boot this right out of the ball park. Get on this soapbox anytime, please!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Beautiful curtains! And wishing you all the best...and maybe next year Christmas on the beach :)

Fran Giacobbe said...

Now it becomes more clear, sadly. I,too, was in a very low risk category, but was diagnosed at my annual mammogram. It is scarey because things are totally out of your control and you are now in medical land! I received wonderful care here in New England and am grateful to all of the doctors and nurses who worked with me. My thoughts are with you and your family..I know you will be ok.

Zep said...

I could throw some lights on my palm for you. I have two in the front yard.

Something that has hit so many lives. I have a student going through chemo right now. She's going to be ok just like you because of the love that surrounds you.

Thankfully you were able to get the test done. I've had pain but felt no lumps. I'm one of those who hasn't been to the doctors in 10 years because of lack of insurance and can't afford the doctor or test. It's taken me 6 months to get approved to a local hospital primary care system with an appointment in January. Not only does every woman need to have the test but it needs to be available to all.

((big hugs)) - be good to yourself!

elizabethe said...

God bless you Ann, and AMEN! Thank you for sharing with us. You don't know me from beans, but I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Obviously, we are all behind you Ann. You are in my prayers. Big hug,

Sandra in Georgia.

Kathi said...

Thinking of you as you face this battle in your life. Stay strong and keep sewing!

meredithp said...

Ann, we're all behind you and sending very positive thoughts your way.

And your curtains are delightful. Isn't it funny how updating one thing, make everything else look..."un-updated".

phyllis said...

You know you can rely on me! ***hugggs***

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing so much of your life. You are an inspiration both for sewing and life. I know so many women who have kicked the big "C". Tell yourself you will get though it and be fine. Reach out to people for any help you need.

Karen said...

Joining the chorus of positive vibes and wishing you strength -- Karen

tumblina said...

Those curtains are *fabulous*.

Pixie/angel dust and strength coming your way. You can beat this.

Mary Beth said...

It IS so hard to talk about, no? I still find it hard even though I practiced on my blog, saying things I couldn't say in person. Seems unfair when you're scared sh*tless. Hope you've saved a life by talking!

emelle said...

I so agree with your soapbox oratory....you can sing on in multiple ways! Hugs and best wishes, ML

anglow said...

Thanks for saying what you did - you are absolutely right. My prayers are with you, Ann.

Linda T said...

Ann you are such an inspiration. Keep reminding us. I will make an appointment since it has been too long since I had a mammogram.

I wonder how long I will have to wait. These things can take months in Canada.

Maja said...

Wishing you all the best Ann and sending you good vibes and strength! My thoughts are with you...

Gabrielle said...

I'm getting mine too. Wishing you lots of strength and a beach holiday in your future. Would an interim Mai Tai or two ward off the chill?

barb said...

You do not know me from a hill of beans but my thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully most women can see thru the USPSTF . I truly believe the insurance companies are behind this because they do not want to pay the claims . Hang in there and be strong.

Anonymous said...

My insurance company will pay for 2*yes, 2* abortions straight up but the mammogram goes towards your deductible, meaning we basically are paying out of pocket. WTF? I have complained for 2 years running but to no avail. I'll keep arguing. I do not want ONE woman putting it off because they cannot afford it.

Best wishes, Ann. If anybody can fight this off, it's you!

DianeS said...

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer after having her first baseline mammogram at age 40.
It's been 9 years and she went on to have her first child. The new guidelines wouldn't have helped her.

Cindy said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this Ann. Hugs and warm wishes coming your way.

Nancy K said...

Good wishes and thoughts and thank you for the reminder. I am overdue too.

Imaan said...

All the best Ann, hang in there. There are worse things than premature menopause:-)

ImOldFashioned said...

I'm just catching up on your blog; sending prayers and healing thoughts your way.

Unknown said...

I was just diagnosed in October. Take time for yourself and let others do for you when you need it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann, check out the message boards at breastcancer.org, they held me all the way through my mastectomy and reconstruction. You are way not alone.

Johanna Lu said...

Oh Ann, all the best vibes in the world goes to you!