Monday, January 04, 2010

RIP, Charles Kleibacker


Image: WWD Archives
(thanks Four Poses!) 
I just learned of the death of one of the sewing world's greats, Charles Kleibacker. As Anne Bissonnette at Kent State put it,
Charles Kleibacker is one of the few American designers to have made a name for himself creating intricate garments in the couture tradition. Instead of mass-produced ready-to-wear, he created a limited number of extremely well-crafted garments that accented body shape and enhanced wearing comfort. Unsatisfied with industrial construction methods, he specialized in hand-sewn assembly techniques that enabled him to produce remarkable designs, many with highly complex bias-cut construction.
I remember one of the first articles I read in Threads magazine was an article about easing a V-neckline to lay perfectly against the body. I still use his technique of pin-easing the bias onto a strip. It works like a charm every time.

He was an American original, and he will be sorely missed.

9 comments:

Deedee said...

Dear Ann,
Hi Ann,
Good luck with your surgery. You will get through it just fine. I workedin the field of cancer diagnosis for 25 years and have an extensive history of Bt ca in my family. Don't hesitate to write me if you want any answers or translations in laymans terms.God bless deedeeskis@yahoo.com

NancyDaQ said...

Hi Ann, thanks for the post on Kleibacker. I always enjoyed it when Threads had articles about his techniques. He was a master, and a gentleman as well.

SewingLibrarian said...

Thanks for posting this. I, too, enjoyed the Threads articles by and about him.
Good luck tomorrow. Will be keeping you in my prayers and thoughts.
Linda

Summerset said...

How incredibly sad. I know *exactly* which article you're talking about. I have that issue.

Unknown said...

I don't check in that often, but here are my belated wishes and prayers for a successful surgery and recovery. Cindy

Bunny said...

Just a couple of weeks ago I pulled out a very old Threads and enjoyed reading, probably for the tenth time, a great article by Kleibacker. There were many. He was a real treasure.

Lauren said...

Whoops! Just a quick note to let you know that the image you included is a garment by Halston, not Kleibacker. You can see the article, along with his creation, here: http://www.fitnyc.edu/5517.asp

Cheers and fingers crossed for you!

a little sewing said...

Thinking of you Ann and hoping you are resting comfortably.

AllisonC said...

I remember that article too, I'll have to go dig it out, there were about 17 million pins in the neckline!