Sunday, January 03, 2010

Another J Stern Tee



No need to do a review of this. I used the exact same technique to make it as I did with the version I made for My Niece's Christmas Present last year. I used the sister of the fabric I used for hers. Where hers was brown and white, mine is black and white with little glitter sparkles. Glitter sparkles, as you may know, are a pain in the butt to work with. Glitter, glitter everywhere! Here's a tip I wrote for taming glitter, but because it was snowing and cold out all day today I couldn't actually use my own tip. I'll just bring the vacuum cleaner up tonight and try to pick up as much as I can.

Bad Erica, No Biscuit!
Thanks to Erica B's post today, I went traipsing off to my local JoAnn in search of a bunch of McCalls early spring patterns. They tried their best to hide them, but I found the ones I wanted. They aren't in the catalog yet, but here are the ones I picked to click. First up are two cute dresses for spring. The first one is a ruffled wrap dress that will work up really nicely in one of the Cottons at Gorgeous Fabrics. I'm thinking Seersucker. Or maybe Eyelet!


This one will be great in a cotton for spring:


I just LOVE this one. I'm going to make it as soon as I'm able.


As Erica pointed out, this is a classic blouse. You can never have too many classic blouses.


DH has been an absolute saint, helping me through everything and going to appointments with me, so I owe him at least a nice shirt.



This jacket has many of the hallmarks of a Chanel-style topper. Leave off the crafty crap and use a classic trim or combination of trims for a look that will work equally well over a dress or on top of jeans.


While I was there, I also picked up this adorable little wrist pincushion


How incredibly cute is that? I grow heirloom tomatoes in the summer, and my favorites are always the yellow ones. I couldn't resist!

Happy sewing!

15 comments:

KID, MD said...

That is a stunning top!! You really made a very basic tee into something special.

indigotiger said...

Your mesh top is so inspiring, I will have to see if I can squeeze some extra funds to get two yards of the (non-glittery) mesh! And I am so very very grateful to you for showing the new spring patterns; I very rarely add to my pattern collection, but the McCalls 6024 would be perfect for me to use to make my own attempt at this lovely, but no-longer-available, dress, which is just a bit beyond my own patternmaking skills
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16759217

Unknown said...

Great top! I had success this weekend with a knit top, and it makes me want to try more! Great patterns, too!

Sue said...

The top is stunning. All the best for a speedy recovery...

Erica Bunker said...

I totally missed the ruffled wrap dress! That's going on my list!

Kathi said...

Your top looks amazing! I also like the dress you plan to make as soon as possible - that is a really neat style. I sewed with some of your fabric this weekend that I LOVED!! I am trying really hard to stay away from your shop as I really, really, really want to order all the other colors!!

Jackie O. Stitches said...

Love the top, and wishing you a speedy recovery!

BeccaA said...

Great top and thanks for showing the new patterns. Wishing you good luck tomorrow for the surgery, and a speedy recovery.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Cute tshirt. I am very tempted by those patterns.
Will be praying for you.

Shannon said...

Wow! I love that top. I think I need this pattern!

gwensews said...

That's a very pretty knit top. It looks elegant enough to wear with your long skirt when you sing with the choir. Great new patterns too.

AuntieAllyn said...

That top is an absolute stunner! I may have to break down and get that pattern myself.

NuJoi said...

I LOVE that top. I stocked up on the new Simplicity patterns. I'm waiting until Thursday for the McCall's sale at Hancock.

amber said...

That top is really pretty!

Bunny said...

Great top. Bet it looks fab on you.