Sunday, February 14, 2010

Elsewhere in Ann-Land

Can I just tell you how happy I am to get back to my sewing machine? I sewed up the muslin of the bodice for Vogue 8593. I started out with a size 12, rather than my usual size 14. I've found lately that Vogue has been running big through the shoulders on many of their newer designs. This is no exception. I sewed it straight from the pattern (just the bodice). I was right to start with a 12. It would be too big in a 14 at the shoulders. So I'll morph it out to a 14 below the arms and do a FBA. Here's a shot on Shelley:
 
It will need some work, but that's okay. I'll probably get a bunch done tomorrow on it. This pattern only requires 25% stretch on the cross grain, so rather than a knit, I'll use a stretch RPL. This muslin is made with leftover fabric from my son's ballroom dance pants.  Here's a picture of the back:
I really like the lines. I'm debating whether to make it with sleeves or sleeveless. I'll decide on that tomorrow. So far this is quite easy and goes together quickly. I think Linda had some issues with the fit of the bodice so I'll go check out her review on her blog.

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful words of support. It's been an interesting last few months, and it's not something that I'll talk too much about (though you may end up with wardrobe updates after each session!), but I wanted to let you know, and hopefully help some other people.

Parting Shot: Green Nails!
Every now and then I like to cut loose with my nail color and break away from my usual rotation of natural tones or reds. Yesterday, Christina put this really cool green on me (how un-Valentines, eh?). It's "Jade is the New Black" from OPI's new Hong Kong collection. On top of it, she put a coat of the sheer silver polish from the Christmas collection (sorry I can't remember the name). I wore it to our annual "Sick of Winter Party", which had its largest attendance in years. It's been a looong winter, and we aren't getting hit with as much as BW and Philly are. It was a blast and much needed!

Happy sewing!

7 comments:

Sue said...

I have this pattern and some fabric ready to go and have been reading the reviews - watch out for the hip size on this one! Thanks for the tips on your muslin so far. Wondering now if I should muslin it also?
Luurve the green nails...

Alicia said...

Gorgeous nails! I'm such a fan of non-traditional nail colors - they make for such great little dashes of happiness in life. I can second Vogue's sizing issues - part of why I don't sew with them like I might. I have tiny shoulders so it's one more adjustment I have to make. But I love the muslin of your dress and it's tempting me to try it sometime. Hmm...

Kathi said...

My toenails are always a funky color!! I started looking at some of the new colors the other day in anticipation of spring!
One of my six year olds said, "I'm tired of this dumb snow." Now, if a six year old has gotten tired of it . . .
We had some more this afternoon/tonight. I don't think much, but still - I am scared to look out!!!!!!!

amber said...

I'm happy to hear you're getting back to the sewing room. The dress is lookin' good.

Ann Made Studio said...

I like the style of this dress and I think it will look great in the black RPL. Have a great week.

Sharon said...

thinking of you ... never knowing what to say exactly ... love the nails?

Zep said...

Hi Ann,

I didn't know if you knew about this but I wanted to share. All you have to do is click to give.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2

You're in my thoughts... only good ones :) enjoy your sewing moments!