Monday, March 29, 2010

Rethinking that Decision

I pulled the Tracy Reese pattern out and started analyzing it. I may rethink it now. There are 16 pattern pieces for the main dress. That's not a problem in itself, but after looking at them, I'm afraid the floral would be so distorted/chopped up by the lines of the dress that it won't really look good. It's a bold floral, but it still is a discernible floral. I still really like the Tracy Reese, but I think it would benefit from either a REALLY BIG floral or a more abstract design, like they show on the pattern envelope cover.

Now to figure out what to use...

10 comments:

judi.0044 said...

Wow that's a lot of pieces! I'll bet you find just the 'one'. Let us know what you decide.

Ellen said...

I love the fuller skirted Vogue Options pattern then for that luscious print (thought the bodice also appears to have a lot of chopped up sections). But swirly, full skirts can be pretty fierce (and cooler).

Judy Ross said...

I'd wondered about a floral with those seamlines too - I'd be worried that the interesting lines of the dress wouldn't show up as well. For me, I'd use a solid colour to really focus on the seaming. For your gorgeous floral I'd pick a pattern with less seam detail. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Terri B' said...

I'm curious - why are you not looking at the pattern you suggested with the fabric on your Gorgeous website? The pattern recommendations are my second favorite feature on your website (the first being the gorgeous fabrics you feature!)

Kathi said...

16 pieces - woah! I'm still curious about the fabric options and how it can accommodate such different choices.

Karin said...

Will you sew the Burda dress now? I love hearing how you come to decisions about marrying fabrics to patterns.

Elaray said...

You're good. I wouldn't have thought about chopping up the print until it was too late and the fabric looked funny. I've got to remember all the considerations necessary before cutting into fabric. Thanks for the reminder.

Gorgeous Things said...

@TerriB - I thought about that McCalls dress, but I wanted something with a higher back. And now I'm thinking a fuller skirt. Man, I'm indecisive! :)

Cissie said...

I agree about the Tracy Reese pattern. I made this in a solid but in that fabulous, bold print I think you would lose the design elements. Plus, that would be an awful lot going on. Whatever you make will be fabulous! BTW, the latest burda had a great sheath dress.
Cissie

Summerset said...

Agreed, I knew that dress had a lot of unusual seaming. That's why I suggested the other Vogue, too, the Kay Unger.