Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Well, What to Work on Now?

March in Boston is such a cruel month. The first whiff of spring arrives. You start to feel lighter and happier, then - bam! Winter sneaks up behind you and smacks you in the head with a 2X4 just to keep you from getting complacent.  And there you have the forecast for the Boston area this week. Maybe I'll take the dog for a long walk tonight before the weather changes.

That leaves me in a quandary about what to sew next. I'm still finishing the Chanel jacket. That's all down to the hand stitching and trim now. I'm working on it in the evenings, but there isn't much to show or blog about until it's ready to be trimmed.

So now the question is, "What to work on next?" I'm thinking about either a dress or a shirt. I was inspired by Erica B's White Shirt. I have this McCalls 6035 pattern that I think would look really cute:

I like the tab sleeves for spring. I have some cute striped shirting that has been aging in my stash for a while. I think I'll use that. It's orange and white - orange seems to be my color for transition/spring this year. Well, that gives me a hobby. I think I'll start on the muslin after dinner.

Happy sewing!

14 comments:

Erica Bunker said...

I like the tab sleeves too!

Anonymous said...

I like the tab sleeves as well but they are a pain to iron ... lol !!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever made the princess side pieces cut on the bias along with the collar and/or front strip or would that be too much?

Karen

Unknown said...

Really cute top, you are on a orange binge lately, huh? As for the weather, it was 60 today, and people were acting like it was 80! I saw at least 6 people wearing shorts and 2 convertibles with the top down! Seriously?

Ann Made Studio said...

I really like this pattern, very cute shirt.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I love that pattern -especially the sleeves

neighbourhood.gal said...

But can you wear an orange stripe shirt with pink hair???

;)

Elaray said...

White blouse! I'm a volunteer usher for a local theater and I need/want a new white blouse for the warmer months. The McCall pattern will suit perfectly. I wonder if Burda has something similar. ;)

Carol said...

I need a white blouse, too. There's a really nice BWOF one, I think it's 01-2008-107 with short and long sleeves. The pieced front makes for easy fitting and it has a lovely shape to it. I would like some of your cool weather. It's still too hot and humid here and I am over summer.

Anonymous said...

Ann-I hadn't been to your blog in ages and just learned of your diagnosis and treatment. Needless to say, I join the myriad who wish you all the best. And that pink wig rocks! Marci

amber said...

I fully support the orange binge. It was one of my new favorite colors as of last summer. :)

NDC said...

Ann,

As I said in the comments in the Lounge, and am amplifying here, I'm participating in the Just 'Cause 3-Day 60 Mile Walk out of Harvard, MA May 14-16 (same weekend as the Boston Komen 3-Day, coincidentally). Am doing it with my sister-in-law, a physician, who's a 2x BCA survivor, complete with chemo curls now.

I was with my sister-in-law for 2 of her four chemo infusions, and it was an honor and a privilege to witness her good cheer and strength. For her, the fatigue and discomfort would hit a few days after the session, so take that into consideration.

I don't always follow the comments now on the Boys' blog with the new format, as I'm invariably surfing while at work, which is always an avalanche, so I was unaware of your diagnosis and situation.

That said, I will keep you in my thoughts, and if you're ever in the Harvard neighborhood, the Virginia Thurston Healing Garden is a refuge and retreat for those afflicted with BCA. The Walk is a fund-raiser for it and the Gillette Center for Women’s Cancers at Mass General Hospital.

I am sure you have a large group of family, friends and other supporters for your fight, but you can never have too many. If you'd ever like to contact me (I'm up visiting my relatives in Harvard about every 3-4 weeks), ask TLo to act as the intermediary so we can exchange information.

Kindest regards,

NDC

Linda T said...

Every woman needs a nice shirt to dress up and dress down! Great choice!

Faye Lewis said...

I so need your help if you have a minute! It's almost spring in Georgia so that triggers my search for fabric to make summer pants from. Every summer it is the same thing - frustrating. The gabardine that is sold at Hancock's (my only local fabric source) doesn't wrinkle, but is a little to light weight for my taste. I'm looking for something that is just the right summer weight, not too see through, and doesn't wrinkle like crazy. A long time ago I had RTW pants I got from Speigel's that were made from chino. What ever that is, I can never find it. I'd like summer pants in white and cream. Do you have any suggestions??? Please help if you can!!!