Yesterday was my last radiation session, hopefully forever.
Woooooo Hooo!!!!!!
I have been breaking into the Snoopy dance all day long. Here's a video that shows exactly how I feel.
Now life gets back to normal, or some semblance thereof. Of course, "normal" gets a severe redefinition once you have been diagnosed with, and completed treatment for, any type of cancer. Hence the title of this post. While I certainly will be ever more keenly on the lookout for signs of trouble, I won't let the events of the last 6 months weigh me down. In the immortal words of Edna Mode, "I never look back, darling, it detracts from the Now."
For anyone who may be looking down the gullet of radiation treatments for cancer, let me give you a couple of tips that made my life easier. First, exercise. I kept up my daily workout and activity schedule and it really helped. A common side effect of radiation is fatigue, though to be honest, I didn't notice anything. I found that, in the middle of the 6 weeks of treatments, I would be fine until about 9:30 at night, then WHAM, I'd hit a wall and head to bed. I think keeping up the exercise helped stave off worse fatigue.
Second, creams. My doctor loaded me up with Elta, Elta Light, hydrocortisone and other skin treatments to keep the treated area from drying out. I also bought Jeans Cream, on the recommendation of my friend Marilyn, who went through it. I kept a bottle of lotion in my bag and would apply it before getting dressed after radiation. It really helped. While my skin still got dry and itchy, it never blistered or had any severe problems.
Third and final, attitude. Radiation never scared me. Chemo did. Radiation was physically and psychologically much easier. Logistically it was a pain in the ass, because it's Monday through Friday for 33 sessions. My Facebook friends know that I counted down as the sessions went along. It helped me knowing that each day I completed was one less that I had to go. I always walked in with a big smile for the staff. They were great, and they made sure I was as comfortable as possible. As I said to the nurses, they made a sucky situation a lot less sucky. I brought a big box of Godiva chocolates and goodies for them on my last day. In a weird way, I will miss them all, but I hope I only see them again outside the Radiology center.
So today is my first day in 6 1/2 weeks without obligations to be at some doctor or another's office. Wow. I can start traveling again and hopefully we've put this entire episode behind us.
Freedom!!!!!
Now, back to the sewing room!
3 days ago
53 comments:
Congrats Ann! Glad that you kicked the crap out of Cancer's butt!
Congratulations Ann!
Ann - your first big problem is: what will you do with the TIME????
Congratulations!
Glad you are thru the treatments and can focus on having fun for the rest of the summer. Your attitude is great, and we can all take something away from your experiences! Hugs, Kristen
I'm so happy that it's behind you now. Enjoy your free time and take some kind of fantastic vacation.
Congratulations, Ann! Here's to the rest of the summer with no more medical appointments.
YAY ANNE!!!!!! I'm so happpy for you ----Beth
Congrats! Have you planned a celebration outing/trip somewhere? When I finished my treatment 5 years ago, we went to Disney a month later!
Michelle
Woo-hoo! Enjoy your time and take a great trip :)
All I can say is "Yay" for you! And thanks for those tips. You never know when someone might benefit from your experience!
Congrats, Ann! I'm so happy that this is behind you now.
Jodi
This truly is a day for celebration! But your psots during these last six months are reminders that every day can be a day for celebration in even the smallest way. Thanks for sharing your journey and your tips.
So glad you are finished! I've been there - done that - hopefully never again for you (or me). Best wishes for your new normal.
YAY! Now go and enjoy yourself.
Congratulations! That has to be a huge relief to be done with the treatments. Happy sewing! :)
congratulations and welcome to the "new" you. Life will never be the same and that's a great thing! I saw chemo and radiation as being turned inside out and then right side out again w/o a loop turner... just sort of forced, dragged, crammed, and shoved with a sharp object (pencil, scissors, etc)... but now you're right side out and it's a feeling that almost makes it worth it!
Hi Ann,
What a day! Treatment is over! Congrats to you and best wishes as you move ahead in life.
I, too, counted down treatment days. I made up a song that the nurses wanted---Oh, it chemo nember one and it's done, It's chemo number two and it's through... Well, you get the idea. It will never make the top ten LOL, but those things help get you through! Thanks for sharing your journey. It will bring hope and encouragementto others!
Blessings,
Maureen
Yay, Ann!!
Congratulations!
Warm wishes Ann. You deserve a treat. I hope you get to travel real soon.
It's great to know that you are finished with radiation. You handled it all with so much grace and positivity. You are an inspiration, and I hope this is all well and truly behind you for good!
Congrats and may it never come back.... Great to know you are well now!
Congrats and enjoy your freedom from those appointments.
Congrats and here's to a doctor-free future. Enjoy the sumnmer!
You have been a great inspiration for me with your posts. I wish you a great doctor-free summer and relax for many many years
Ann, I'm so happy you're finished with that nasty radiation. You have come thru it all with grace and aplomb. Congratulations!
Gail D.
True, life will never be quite the same but you made it through with flying colors. You rock!
So glad you are coming out the other side of the tunnel now. Stay well and continue taking great care of yourself!
I am very happy for you.
YAY! Man, if you can do the Snoopy Dance you can do anything! Cool clip!
Congrats! It must be such a relief for it to be over :)
Congratulations! (I found your blog through your store, which is terrific.)
Congratulations on the end of your treatments. I hope you have a great summer and treat yourself to some travelling soon!
Two thumbs up and a big WOOHOO!
I just so happened to finish Garment #12 yesterday, too!
So glad the treatments are all history!!
That is great news. Seriously your whole attitude throughout this has been inspiring.
I have found all your posts inspiring as you have such a great attitude. I'm very happy for you.
Ann, I'm one of your fans - so glad you're done with this "speed bump" in your life!
Congratulations, and best wishes for a very long, and healthy, life.
Thank you so much for this post. My cousin-in-law was just diagnosed with uterine cancer and just started radiation this week. I'm going to direct her to your post for a little guidance and support.
Congratulations! May you never have to deal with anything of the sort again.
Congrats!
Glad you are done Congraulatons and hope for good health in the future
Congratulations! I am so happy for you that this is done!
Have a fantastic summer!
Congrats on getting through treatment. One of my sisters was diagnosed around the same time you were, she doesn't sew, so her distraction was training for cancer runs/walks. Having a support system makes all the difference!
Your blog is an inspiration for more than just sewing!
I have said it before but I will say it again...You are such an inspiration to me and many others, I imagine.
Enjoy your happy dance!
Whew! Congrats on putting those treatments behind you--may it be forever!
Have a great summer and here's wishing you lots of Mojo!
Having just got back from a long trip, I'm reading your blog for the first time in several months, and I am so glad to hear you have come through it all at last, and done it with style. Congratulations to you, Ann. And thank you for your advice to those who might be facing a similar ordeal. My dh went through 30 radiation sessions for his cancer, and like you, he found exercise helped him get through a full day of teaching.
Congratulations! You and my friend, Stacey (she had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) are at the same stage--vigilant followups but treatment is finished. Here's a cyber toast to a very long, healthy, and happy rest of your life!
Yay! I'm so happy for you and I hope that you never have to do this stuff again.
Now you can go out and enjoy the rest of your summer - hopefully the heat will ease up before you get away!
Hugs,
Chantelle
Congratulations, Ann! I know the feeling. I too was doing the Snoopy dance! I'm so glad you've completed this journey (with flying colors).
Hey, I brought chocolates for my nurses/doctors, too, and I got my driver a Chilton manual for his Jeep, ha! I was so lucky, because although my radiation treatments were a 150-mile round trip, I only had to drive 60 of the 150, and the hospital provided a van for the rest of the trip. That's what I call service!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy,
Annette
WOO HOOO!
Sending warm, soft hugs of happiness and JOY!!
Rhonda in Montreal
Post a Comment