We're fortunate in our town to have sewing/cooking/shop classes in the middle school. They start out with woodshop, then move on to cooking, then sewing at the end of the year. In school, DS the Younger has been learning to make a fleece hat. Earlier this week he came home and asked if I could teach him sewing. Well, who am I to say no to that, right? So to start off, we decided to make a pillowcase. I figured that was a good way to get him used to my Pfaff. So we got some blue cotton and went to town. I showed him how to measure and cut the fabric using the rotary cutter and a ruler. We hemmed the top of the case first, then sewed the seams. He took to it like a duck to water - of course! Here are some pictures of him working on it:
Pinning the hem
Sewing away!
And, here he is with the finished product.
He did all the work. I did the pressing for him, since he's a little nervous about using my gravity feed iron, and I don't entirely blame him. But other than that, he did the rest of it. I'm so proud of him! My little swatch off the old fabric bolt. He said he'd like to make pajama bottoms next, so that will be our next project.
Happy sewing!
31 comments:
Jess sewed for awhile when he was that age - it was fun! He even embroidered and sewed a pillow for his little girlfriend's birthday. Boy, was she ever impressed!
How cool. I love it.
Anne - that is so kewl! And he is a cutey!!!
That sounds like so much fun! My 3 and 5 year old both really want to learn how to sew. They help me a little bit already, so great.
I think he made a lovely pillowcase.
That, is awesome.
That's great! My DS wants me to teach him to sew too. A pillowcase sounds like a great project to start with.
You are justly proud of him.
I am jealous that his MS teaches sewing. That is increasingly rare in my neck of the woods (LA).
A handsome lad with a very professional pillow case. I am impressed!
You are so lucky to have schools that teach such essentials... were I live it's considered old fashioned...and when I was at primary school 20 years ago some parents complained because one teacher was teaching boys how to sew a button... and now you wonder why some man can't take care of themselves...
My goodness, he is a very good looking young man. You're still the pretty one, though
Excellent! Nice pillowcase. Good first project. I'll have to remember that if I ever run across anyone wanting to learn.
I hope we'll see the PJs!
Another young sewist to join the ranks! He did a great job.
"...little swatch off the ol' fabric bolt" haha
Nice pillowcase-he looks very proud!
Mary
Good for him! I am currently teaching my 15 and 19 yo neices to sew, and we are all having a blast. It's so important to pass these skills on to the next generation.
My son also had cooking and sewing this year in MS. He made a pillow, and he is so proud he keeps it on his bed.
Totally cool!
That is so cool!
How cool is that?!?!? My 8 year old son has been begging me to teach him to sew - a pillowcase might be a great project for him!
"Swatch off the old bolt" - what a brilliant description! (And what a cute kid too.)
He's a cutey! Glad he wants to learn to sew. That is truly very cool!
What a great Sunday night story! Can't wait to see those PJs.
So awesome! My DS (26) can knit and sew a bit - there's nothing better than hearing your child ask, "Mom, can you teach me how to...?" :-)
Great story - how cute! I love it!
Woohoo! I love seeing people teaching their kids to sew (especially boys, since I have two). I can't wait to show mine in quite a few years.
They're still teaching such practical skills in school???? I thought they had given up on cooking and sewing and shop classes. This gives me hope for future generations! The pillowcase is terrific . . . a great first project, hopefully many more to come!
I just love the fact that in the top picture he's got his little latte cup next to the fabric he's measuring. Get him started using all the right tools and techniques!
Good job! Cute kid!
Maureen
He did a fabulous job! I wonder where he got those natural skills?!? LOL. My son sews, too, and better than my daughter.
So awesome! His pillowcase looks fantastic. :)
The other Mary Beth piping in....Anne, your kid is putting me to shame. I have to sew a pillowcase. A silk one.
I app-solutely ♥
my ✄ Fabric U ✄
iPhone app!
http://tinyurl.com/242bua9
His smile says it all!!!!
looking forward to seeing the pj bottoms.
Post a Comment