That's not some foreign swear, it's Italian for "enough".
What is with people these days? The internet is just plain nutty, and I don't mean cashews and pecans. Sewing sites are getting particularly weird. I subscribe to two that have threads in which members are discussing the pros and cons of a certain pattern company. Several are given to long diatribes ranting on about the folks who test these patterns, and the fact that they are under moral obligation to divulge their status as a tester for these patterns. And that if they don't, they are going to suffer from boils, frogs, blood, locusts, darkness and general bad karma. The tone of many of these posts is hysterical - they justhavetotellthesepeopleontheseboardswhotheyarebecause-wewanttoknowandifnotwe'regoingtoscreamaboutitontheinternet-
becausewecan!!!!
Puh-leeze. Get a grip people.
For one thing, it's sewing folks. It's not sending someone to Mars. It's not brain surgery. As I said on one site, I haven't seen any pattern company that has had to submit a M&M (that's Morbidity and Mortality, aka the "Does it kill you?") report to the Federal Pattern Administration. Lighten up!
For another thing, I have contracted with testers for various companies I have been in or owned. Every last one of them was required to sign an agreement that they would NOT divulge their identities as a beta tester. It's in the contract. I could sue them if they blabbed.
And talk about dissuading folks from posting reviews. If I post a review on some public site, am I going to be accused of being a shill for the pattern company? When I post on an independent site that hosts pattern reviews, not only do I share the rights to my work with the site owner, but now I also have to endure the slings and arrows from folks who think that I may be somehow affiliated with the company? Thanks, I'll keep my pattern reviewing to my own sites (here and The Sewing Divas) from now on. Geez, what a bunch of grumpy gusses are out there on the internet these days!
BTW, I'm not talking about paid reviews. Those are different (see Sewing Payola?). I'm talking about folks who submit reviews to sites for no monetary gain.
Okay, basta. I'm going back to my sewing room where I am working on a totally fabulous outfit for my next singing gig!
1 day ago
18 comments:
Ann - thanks for making me laugh. You're so right about keeping this issue in proper perspective. I can hardly believe so many people are so wound up about this! Sometimes I really think people have waay too much time on their hands!
I'm with candyo - I missed the drama, but I have so much going on in my 'real' life that I didn't have time for the internet version! LOL
It's a shame there's so much hoopla going on about this - I love reading other people's take on patterns, seeing their photos, etc. It would be a shame to disuade people from posting their opinions.
The whole thing is insane. Those of us who do beta test patterns would never review a pattern from the company we tested for, it's just wrong.
Its sounds to me like sour grapes from someone. the moderators of these boards ought to get after them.
The last thing I feel like doing is reviewing a pattern for someone else's website, you know? It's no longer fun, so why do it? There must be some kind of planetary aspect that is making folks just plain weird. Back to the studio, which is already in progress.
Basta is also "enough" in Spanish, and I concur.
Meow! Obviously there are some people spending too much time on the net and not enough time in the studio. This is another reason why I don't participate on message boards. I'd rather just read the blogs and comment in a positive way; and if not, keep my fingers off the keyboard!
I missed it too. Why in the world would people care so much. I'll second Candyo... lighten up it's just fashion.
Haven't been interested in the boards since I was zung with "whose side are you on?" What?
Due to the nature of the internet and the number of people it reaches, people are encouraged to choose names that conceal their identity. Some pattern reviews on PRev even crop out their faces, perhaps going a bit too far, but this makes them more comfortable (although the model in her new garment does look a bit weird) so is OK.
However, this anomynity also allows them to go on personal, often hateful, rants with no fear of facing any responsibility for any hurt they may cause. "Get a life" may not be a helpful response, as they probably already have a life, which may be full of discord. Everyone elses fault but their own, is my guess. Their tirades, name calling, accusations may be a way to vent. The trouble is that they do not choose to see it that way and hit the self-control button.
Do not buy into this by responding in kind. Yes, you are anonymous too, and can respond any way you want, but don't. It is not important, just adolescent testing. Better yet, do not read the threads on the message boards if they start to get nasty. Give it a break for a few days. These rants usually burn out very quickly.
By the way, my first two names are Patricia Jean
What happened to all of the fun in talking about sewing! I feel like the fun is getting sucked right out of it. I like to see what fun, interesting and cute things people are making and getting good ideas. Also, talking about good deals, enabling fabric (I've still been able to resist calling Kashi, so far...), and getting helpful advice. Ugh! I can't possibly make all of the things I'd like to, and buy all of the fabrics I would love, but it helps to share in what everyone else is doing!
BTW Ann, I don't think I ever commented on your coat. I love it! I was never that smitten with the pattern, but after seeing yours, I'd love to make one too. I don't think I could find 2" buttons around here, though. I love what you did in combining the two to make them really stand out. I can only guess how yummy it feels with Kashi's cashmere, too.
I am dumb-founded. Wish I had been struck dumb, I stayed to the end, intrigued by the illogic and still trying to figure it out. Never did come clear to me so back to sewing!
Amen Sister
What is in the water at the moment? I remember the almost exclusively positive attitude displayed by all, the gratitude for the willingness of the experts to share their knowledge for no personal gain. That the internet which brings us together from all over the world also provides the anonymity for vicious nastiness is a crying shame.
I have been reading your reviews and comments for years, (and being inspired by your work!) and never once have I seen a single word deserving of snide remarks, let alone plain ole nasty ones. I am so sorry that you've been a target, and I hope that here in your own corner of the net you will continue to delight and inspire those who appreciate you. Cheers, Judy Ross (nee Williment)
Well said Ann.
It was day two before I realized that I was being sucked in by the same person on SG that sucked me in on PR. When will I learn - now! No more. Thanks again for putting this so succintly on your blog. More and more I get a greater pleasure out of reading and commenting on blogs than the message boards.
I'll keep looking for you here!
Linda
Sing it, sister! I went away for four days and am dismayed to see that the hunt is still on. Blech.
Dogs with a bone ... that is what that whole thing reminds me of! NO matter how many people tried to swing the topic or lighten up, they just woudln't let go for a while!
I refuse to leave another site because of the same people and the same topic ... seems like the mood has finally changed on that thread, though. Lots of talk abotu the new patterns arriving. Time to go check my mailbox ...
I've missed all the hoopla you are talking about, so I am not really sure what it is all about.
I really hope you don't stop posting your pattern reveiws, I learn so much from them and I appreciate your time and effort.
The Pattern Review website now has moderators, so hopefully things will get back on track.
I hope you will give it another try. I am sure there are lots of others like me who don't say much but very much appreciate the people who share their knowledge.
Leslie in NZ
Hi Ann,
I couldn't believe that whole debate erupted over a simple pattern review....Had I known what that was gonna start I would have thought long and hard about reviewing it, and then responding to comments.
After I did some background research, I got myself out of the discussion before I could say something that I would end up regretting. I can't believe this is getting hashed over and over again almost a year after it looks like it started.
A pattern either works for you, or it doesn't. There is absolutely no excuse ever, for putting someone down for their personal choice to sew a pattern from a particular company. And even less of an excuse to criticize someone for having the skills to pull it off! If the naysayers have that kind of time on their hands perhaps they should be working on their own projects.
That said, Ann, I would love to see your future projects here on your blog!
Kirsten (aka Kestrels Nemesis)
Just found out about all the goings on at PR but not the reason and I don't really care. It's just sad that it happened. I like PR for all the different viewpoints, etc. That's how we learn, isn't it? Oh well, I'll just check here for the your updates/goings on. Have a great week and happy singing!
Post a Comment