Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Musical Notes

I'm working on a post for BeSewStylish.com, where, BTW, I was rather shocked to see the current post about subscriptions. Hmm....

Well, when the going gets rough, this lady gets Singing! I'm preparing to do a big recital in the fall. Lots of Mozart, Brahms, probably some Purcell or Arne, Debussy or Poulenc, and I'm leaning toward some Sondheim. I think I'll be doing a duet recital around the same time, too. It gives me a hobby, you know?

Well, if you're interested, you can hear a couple of old performances. The recital I did with my dear friend Monique Argent was great fun. Our accompanist for this recital is probably the best collaborative pianist in the Boston area, Bill Merrill. Bill is an absolute dear to work with, and a doll! The recording is rather ringy, thanks to both the quality of the recording device (a mindisk recorder that my husband used to have) and the acoustics of Boston University's Marsh Chapel. Interesting trivia tidbit. Marsh Chapel is named for Daniel Marsh, former president of BU, and coincidentally, father of my very first voice teacher, Nancy Marsh Hartman.

The set with Ryan, who is my choir director, friend, and amazingly talented musician, was recorded in a recital at a private home with the most amazing music room in it. Unfortunately, the recorder gets pretty overwhelmed in that close a space. And where Hoiby's "The Serpent" got off to, I am not sure. Oh well.

Anyway, back to my sleeve. Happy listening!

3 comments:

Alisa_Benay said...

I'm glad to hear SewStylish will continue on as a web hub for sewing tips. That really seems to be it's strength.

Kitty Couture said...

Oh, no!! I'm so disappointed that BSS is closing down subscriptions. I was so excited to receive the first issue, which arrived *just* as I was preparing to start on my wedding dress and was a wonderful, serendipitous help. I had never been so happy with a subscription (and I subscribe very seldom to anything). Such a shame!

I wasn't too sure where to find your singing on the Monique Argent page? Or does the "Singing" link point to the wrong page (it links to BeSewStylish?)

LauraM said...

Thats really sad! I got a subscription for my college dd who took up sewing this last year. She loved this magazine, has even made a few of the items from it! She loves designing without the patterns! All the years I've had Threads, just didn't interest her as much -