Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Chugging Along

I've been radio silent lately b/c I've been incredibly busy. I have gotten the muslin bodice for the dress cut and mostly sewn, though. I'm going to put it together tonight and get a preliminary look at it. I can tell you a couple of things about the GoPatterns bodice right now though: it's cut with relatively little ease. It's not bad, but I may adjust some things given the silk fabric I'll be using. Also, the side-front-to-center-front princess seam has a LOT of ease to it.

The reason everything is coming along so slowly is because of the steps I have taken so far to get to the initial fitting shell.

1 - trace off pattern

2 - do flat pattern measurements and very preliminary tissue fitting

3 - adjust front bust (definitely needs to be lower and adjusted for cup size)

4 - trace onto muslin and cut out with adjustments above

5 - remove SAs from muslin and trace onto a new muslin

6 - add 1 to 1 1/2 inch SAs to that muslin, cut and sew.

NOW I can start looking at the fit. It's a PITA, but I'm hoping in the end it will be worth it. I'll post pictures of the different components later.

Happy sewing!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

I am curious about your multiple muslins. Why can you not add the 1 to 1 1/2 inch SAs to the first muslin? Also, what does PITA stand for?
Elaine

Gorgeous Things said...

Ummmm.... because I wanted to make sure I did it right? Because I was doing it at 11 at night after working all day and I wasn't thinking about it? Seriously though, I did it that way because I wanted to make sure I got exactly the results I was looking for on the fitting muslin, and I wanted to keep the paper muslin intact. Plus it gave me an opportunity to study the lines and think about the construction some more. That will be handy if I decide to change the lines to shoulder princess seams.

PITA stands for Pain in the... well, you know.

Elaine said...

Thanks for the reply. I have never thought of the paper tracing as a muslin. I didn't know it at the time, but I have made many PITA garments. I just didn't know that they had an official name.