Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tip: Safe Disposal of Rotary Cutter Blades

I lurve my rotary cutters. I use them for almost every project. But I do worry about disposal of the used blades. They are still wicked sharp (as we say in Boston), after all. I used to wrap them in lots of masking tape (think of being wrapped up like a rotary mummy). Then one day I had an "aha" moment. Rather than disposing of each blade as it is used, I save my old plastic cases in which the blades are packed. With a Sharpie marker, I write "Used" in large, friendly letters on the front, and I keep used blades in that. Once it's filled up, I tape it shut and put it in the recycling bin.

Hope this helps, and Happy Sewing!

6 comments:

Gigi said...

Great minds think alike - I do the same thing!

Lisa Laree said...

Ah! I'm honored to be in such good company...so do I ;)

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing people like me listen to smart people like you.

Carol said...

For old needles and bent pins I keep an old film canister(some younger readers may never have seen them!). The lid stays on safely and they take ages to fill up.

Karla said...

That's gotta look better than a washed and recycled plastic yogurt container (raspberry).

Mel.J said...

same here - I also use the marker to draw a squiggle around the blade so it's clearly a used one. I think I started that because at first I only had a container that had an extra new blade in it.

How often do you replace your blades??