Next up, the coat is done except for the buttons. I may get too impatient and go to the local knitting store to find some fantastic buttons tomorrow. I'd like to wear it tomorrow night. What a sharp looking pattern!
Finally, the title. Some of you heard we got some wild ass weather here in the Boston area yesterday and today. I live on the North Shore, but I am far enough south and east to have missed the big ice storm. Thank you to my friends who have called and emailed to see how we're doing. We only got rain - lots and lots of rain. Actually, for us, the worst part was Tuesday night, as the storm was starting to move in. We got a huge wind storm to start this whole mess. And on Wednesday morning, this is what we woke up to:
An 80-foot oak tree demolished our shed. Sigh... The tree guys came out. Of course, they can never come out and take down just one tree. 5 trees and a whole lot of money later, our back yard is pretty much denuded. Hoover is bereft.Tomorrow I'll try to finish the coat and post a review. Until then,
Happy sewing!
13 comments:
Hi Ann,
Glad to hear that you and your family survived the storm.
Kristen
Just as I was reading about the ice storm, CNN had a blurb on TV about it! Man, I am glad to be in Florida! Sorry about your shed and trees!
Bummer! Glad that you and the family are safe but sorry that you still had loss of property. Hope your concert goes good. Will there be video this year?
DH and I were commenting about the differences between a northern storm and a hurricane. In Florida, when a storm wipes us out, we have to look far and wide to find ice, but we have no trouble staying warm. ;-) Apparently it's exactly the opposite up there, but the damage and inconvenience look all too similar. My condolences to your pocketbook and to Hoover.
Ann, you and your DH have had more than your share lately. I live in Detroit, MI and many here are afraid of losing their jobs. I am glad you are safe and with power (heat). You are going to be lookin good in your coat. Sing like an angel.
Michigan love,
Rae
That is awful, Ann! I've never seen an ice storm but I have been through a few hurricanes and I am very sad everytime I lose a tree.
Wow! We were lucky! The southern Poconos just missed the ice by about 2 degrees. Although about 8 miles up the road on the plateau, there was lots of ice. I remember one particular ice storm about 2 or three years ago where we heard tree-snapping all night. Even the next morning, and we have huge trees. All you heard were chain saws the next day or two. Cleanup was a b*tch.
What a shame. Thank goodness the tree did not land on your house!
Gee I wish I'd known you still didn't have buttons for your coat. I was at Windsor Button Friday.
Too bad about the shed and trees. I really should call my mother and make sure they are all right in NH. I suspect they are because all the towns they talked about on the news are in the southern and eastern part.
Condolences to Hoover - he'll have to go next door for his squirrel fix now, I guess! ;)
BetsyV
Oh my! That tree did a good job of smashing your shed. You didn't need that on top of everything else.
I have never been in an ice storm but we have had some snow and temps at the freezing level creating ice on our steep driveway. My truck didn't make it up of the driveway yesterday. It and I slid back down and into the garage door. Luckily I got it to turn slightly before center punching the bottom two panels of the door. If I hadn't gotten it to turn, it would have smashed into the nose of my Firebird, parked inside the garage. I would have cried.
Luckily we can both repair the damage.
Oh NO! Ice storms are the worst! I hope you and New england thaw out soon. (last year a tree fell across my driveway, hitting the car with only minor damage - BUT - trapping me in until we moved the tree)Tree removal IS expensive.
Yikes! We had a lot of downed branches, but nothing destructive like that. Glad it was only the shed - it could have been much worse.
oh dear! glad you are all safe tho!
Pleased to 'meet' you! Hope you enjoyed the concert and got your buttons ;)
Post a Comment