Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sewing Tip - Make the Lining First

Here's an oldie-but-goodie (I first published it in 2002) that I was reminded of today when working on my coat. When working with a pattern that calls for a lining, I construct the lining first, especially if the lining is made from the same pattern pieces as the garment itself. This is useful for a number of reasons. First, when I am making up a pattern, once I get through the fashion fabric, the lining becomes *really boring*, and I am tempted to cut corners. By making the lining first, I avoid the feeling of "lining fatigue". Second, and most importantly, by making the lining before setting shears or rotary cutter to fabric, I can check my fit, and use the lining as a faux muslin. This is not meant to replace a muslin, but it allows you to tweak fit and do some fine tuning before working on the outer garment fabric. You can then transfer any adjustments with a minimum of hassle.

I did this with the lining of my coat, and it really does make it less of a chore to make the lining.
Happy sewing!

15 comments:

Pam Erny said...

Great tip Ann...thanks!

Pam, from ~Off The Cuff Style~

Manecoarse said...

I agree with Pamela. Thanks for this tip.

Carol said...

Brilliant! I would never have thought of this.

Little Hunting Creek said...

You're right, I do get bored sewing the lining. I try to counteract this by using wilder linings :) I'll try making them first - thanks!

luckylibbet said...

I do this all the time! And YES, I get lining fatigue too, but never thought to describe it this way.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ann. How simple and how smart!

Becky said...

So simple, but something I likely wouldn't have thought of myself. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was the only one that REALLY hated sewing the lining!!!
Great tip thanks

Christina said...

What a great idea! I, too, experience "lining fatigue". In fact, I have a beautiful unfinished coat in my closet that just needs a lining...

Reethi said...

What a great tip! I'm sewing a coat right now, and I'm dragging big-time on even cutting the lining out - plus I have a dress sitting around that also needs lining. Great idea!

Kat said...

This is really a great tip. How true it is to make the coat or jacket out of fashion fabric then just want to whiz through the lining to wear it.

Summerset said...

Good idea! I do understand the lagging feeling once you get to the lining part. So close to being done, yet so far away!

Karla said...

I think the lining-as-semi-muslin is a great idea (assuming you're not using an irreplaceable stash treasure as the lining. May I suggest a similar line of thought regarding some of the tedious details on other garments? I force myself to do things like collar and pocket construction before I jump into the long construction seams on shirts and dresses, because I'm more likely to do a meticulous job early in the process. It's nice to reach for a completed collar, cuff or pocket when it's time to add them to the major pieces on a garment.

Linda L said...

I remember you posting this tip and I have used it guite a bit. Just recently on my dress that I am working on and it feels like I will never finish that dress right now. The tip is truly a good one.

Johanna Lu said...

This is such a good tip! I just wish I read it before I started on my jacket. I am in the phase right now where I'm pretty far along with the jacket and have yet to cut the lining, due to said "lining fatigue"