Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's Frickin' Cold Out There, Mister Bigglesworth!

Brrrrrrr... I hope Dawn is on her way to sunny Hawai'i. Lord knows it feels like Alaska just plopped down in Boston today. The temperatures are supposed to be in the teens with wind chills below zero. And Friday is supposed to be worse. So I thought this might be a nice time to recap some of my favorite cold-weather garments that I have sewn.

First up, and what I am wearing as I type, Vogue 8138. It's a cardi-wrap style that is really designed for a lightweight jersey.

I made my version from a heavier wool-blend terry that I had on Gorgeous Fabrics in 2007. I can't tie it at the waist, as they show in the Vogue picture, but I can belt it or toss it over my shoulder. It's incredibly warm.

Another great favorite is McCalls 5472. I made this from a double-sided ribbed sweater knit that turns from gray on one side to burnt orange on the reverse.

I finished it by binding the edges, and I made it so I can wear either side out, depending on my mood and what I am wearing under it. It's so comfortable. It's like wearing a bathrobe.

Another option for layering when it's chilly is HotPatterns Sportive Suit jacket. I made this from a wool jersey and partially lined it with silk charmeuse. Oo la la, this one feels so good on!


So today I'm going to spend my time staying warm. Oh there's a great Clearance Sale going on at Gorgeous Fabrics right now. I need space, so a bunch of fabrics are on sale for 30%-40% off our regular prices. Have at it - please - I need the room!

Happy sewing!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Actually, it's warm here now. My F-ing Cold SWAP seemed to do the trick. It's 35F and raining so the roads are a mess. They called off school today because there were over 80 accidents before 7am. I LOVE your cardi-wrap top.

Cennetta said...

I'm feeling what you're feeling. We have been hit with three snow storms in the last week. Tomorrow's temps are high -13 low -1. You have three great chill busters. I need a one of each. lol Thanks for the heads up on the sale.