Yesterday I called Emmett to wish him a Happy Easter. On a side note - I think he's having a big sale at the store this weekend. So if you're in NoLiTa, stop by his store at 240 Elizabeth Street, between Houston and Prince. Tell him I sent you!
Anyway, back to the navel-gazing subject at hand. We were talking and at one point he said to me, "Ann, you have the most amazing attitude. I mean, really!" Many people have said similar to me, and I thank each and everyone for the supportive words.
But the plain fact is, what choice do I have?
I'm not saying that in any self pitying way. On December 6, 2009, my own day that will live in infamy, I received a diagnosis of early stage breast cancer. On that day, I joined a reluctant sisterhood. I'm hopeful that I'm one of the luckier members.
From the moment I got the call from my surgeon, my mind kicked into fight and survive mode. I'm Irish, as you all know. I never back down from a fight (as some have found out), and this is no exception. I have a lot to fight for: my husband, two sons and my friends and family - near, far and Internet. I hope to be around for a very long time to bounce my sons' kids on my knee. I'm certainly not going to let some bastardized cells stop me.
The way I face big scary things like this is to set my spine, get as much information as I can, consult with people who know a lot about these things and then make decisions. I also hit the gym. A lot. I've found that keeping up my level of physical activity helps me keep my spirits up and keep things in perspective. After my surgery, no one told me I wasn't supposed to start lifting weights again, so I did. It's helped quite a lot. Just knowing that I can lift the same amount of weight that I did pre-surgery helps me feel like there's still something a little normal in my life. Same with spin and aerobics class. And the Hoovinator has been getting lots of regular walks.
I also take every opportunity to laugh in the face of this thing. The wigs (it's all about the accessories!) are one example. Today's a Pink Wig Day. I can't wait to put it on. It makes everyone smile, which is a good thing. Same with dressing up for my chemotherapy treatments. I could go to chemo in sweats and sneakers, but screw that. As Nikki observed, it's my way of flipping the bird at cancer. One of my friends said, "I may have cancer but it doesn't have me." There you go.
Another outlet for me is singing. I haven't done as much of that as I would like lately, but I've started working again with Bill, my vocal coach. One of the adverse effects of chemotherapy is that it tends to dry you out, which affects the quality of your voice. That's temporary, though, and I hope to be back to the full sing swing this fall. Right now I've been working mostly on Messrs. Mozart and Handel. I'd like to get a recital together for this fall or winter. And I want to find a group to sing with.
And of course, there's sewing. I'm waiting to receive the pattern I ordered. While I wait, I think I'll make a little skirt today. Something preppy, springy and fun. I think I'm going to make it from this Patchwork Madras Cotton:
I think I'll just make a little A-line type mini. Hopefully I'll have it done today and wear it tomorrow, since it's supposed to be up in the 70s.
I'll share one final story with you. 20 years ago my dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Nasty stuff, really bad. The disease took two years to kill him, but the fact is, he died that day at Mass General when the doctor told him it was cancer. The rest of the time was just him waiting, in fear. I promised myself that I would not be like that under similar circumstances. And I'm not going to go quietly. Hopefully I'm not going anywhere for a very long time. Except out to the kitchen to get more coffee.
Happy sewing!
1 day ago

49 comments:
God bless you Ann.
The Fightin'Irish Gal.
Happy Easter!
You are an inspiration, Ann! Thank you for sharing your story. Happy Easter!
Lovely post, Ann. Attitude really makes a huge difference in your overall health. And get to singing - I'm a classical singer as well, and I know after a year of depression and little singing, it is singing music I love that has helped to bring me back (and the love of the wonderful group of people I am singing with now.) I also wanted to say that I'm facing some surgeries myself this year (nothing so serious, but scary to me!) and your attitude has really inspired me. Thanks so much!
Bravo to you, Ann, for fighting the good fight...and still maintaining your classiness. My mother was one of those stubborn Irish who lived almost 18 years past the doctor's predictions because she wasn't going to miss out on anything in life. Cheers to you for doing the same.
Don't give in. My mother was like your father. As soon as she got the diagnosis, she gave up. The world still needs you in it Sending you love and good thoughts.
You do have an amazing attitude and are an example for women everywhere. Blessings and continued good health.
YOu have such a great attitude. Hugs.
The other day at school some of my students were talking about heroes. Most of them chose a sports star or a celebrity. It got me to thinking that in N. America we have lost sight of what defines a true hero. A hero isn't someone that makes a lot of money or can throw effortless three point shots. Instead, it's someone that inspires. Someone that defies the odds. Someone that fights the good fight, despite set backs. Someone that makes you ponder. Someone that adds value to the lives of those around them. Someone like you.
And a hearty "Amen"! to the above, as well as your post, Ann!
May you continue to rock your world for a very long time to come!
I hope the skirt gets worn today! I love it!
Brenda
You are admirable. I wish you all the best, and hope you have a happy Ester holiday with your family!
Ann, you do have an amazing attitude! You are an inspiration to women that are going through ANYTHING!
Happy Easter. I love your attitude. It is very inspiring, even to those of us battling other things. And thanks for the shout-out. I'm glad you liked my analogy. :)
Well said!
Ann, you're doing great! Just a side comment, since I'm a dentist, there is a product called Biotene. It will really help with the dryness you talk about. It comes in a spray and gel that are both effective. Water is great but it doesn't stick around. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. (You don't have to post this comment but I thought I'd send it to you to try and help;) Jennifer
Ann You rock!!!!
You're the best! I have forwarded your blog to a nonsewing friend undergoing similar treatment...
Bless you and Happy Easter!
Kristen
Hi Ann,
Keep up the exercise!! It will keep you 'up'!! As the above post said, you are my hero!! We all come in different sizes! I have a granddaughter who didn't give up until her little heart gave out almost 3 years ago. Children have a way of showing us that no matter what comes in the way of being a 'kid' they still want to play and have tea parties and dig in the sand. We need to have that attitude as well. Keep it UP!!
It's heroic to get up and keep going, every day, in the face of something like this. You are right about your Dad. Keep up the fight and know that there is a whole legion behind you wishing you well.
Happy Easter - rock that pink wig!
Jodie (a lurker, but who was inspired today)
Hi Ann,
Yes, it is the "whatever it takes" attitude that triumphs over cancer and you have been an inspiration to those fighting the fight. I am six years out now and know that life is sweet on the other side.
I wish you many sweet years ahead!
Maureen
Ann, I don't have cancer, but now I want a pink wig.
What a role model you are! What a better place this world would be if more of us had your attitude!
Ann, you are an inspiration. I've told many people how you dress up as for a "party" for your chemo treatment. You look wonderful and I just love reading your blog. Go girl, kicking ass!!!
I stand in awe of your continued grace and spunky attitude. You are amazing. Cancer doesn't stand a chance.
Bravo, bravo! There, but for the grace... go each and every one of us sisters. Bravo, and, live very, very long and prosper!
You are just great. You'll win, no doubt.
Wonderful post Ann.
Have a Happy Easter.
Very inspiring! Happy Easter!
Wishing you the best Ann!
This month it will be 5 years for me (dx at age 37).
Glad to hear you are lifting weights--that is key to keep everything in fab shape!! It has helped me since being thrown into menopause so early because of my treatment.
Love reading your blog!
Michelle
Inspirational post, Ann. I think I will print this off and keep for those I care for that need some sustenance. You provide more than that. I am sure your dad would be VERY proud of you and your tenacity.
I just love your attitude. Every one in life should have it regardless of what adversities they face. I just know that you are going to kick cancer's a**.
Keran
Love ya Ann! You are the best! What a gal.
You did have a choice - fight or give up. I've been reading your posts here and elsewhere for years and the gutsy attitude has always shone through. Your current attitude to fighting cancer is exactly what I would have expected from you. But it can't be easy to keep that up all the time. I hope you are finding strength wherever you can.
Love Judy
Attitude (a positive one) is everything! Keep on doing what you've been doing, and I have every confidence you will whip cancer's butt!
Ann more than anything else I think you created a new way for patients to view their cancer treatment. The medical industiral complex is pretty daunting and so many people just roll over and become passive but you haven't done that. I thought it was really interesting when the nurses and staff told you that they never see anyone well dressed during treatment. I think counselors should actually advise patients that they should look as good as possible when they go in for chemo because there is a benefit to making that effort. People have the power!
Happy Easter Ann
Bravo and here's to many many more birthdays on the day we share.
I'm sure you are right about sewing and about singing. This morning we were all invited to come and join the choir at the end of the service and sing the Hallelujah Chorus - scores provided. Lots of us did, it felt terrific and you would have loved it - though you would have been a great deal better than almost any of us! So do keep at it and even across the pond we will keep thinking of you
Anne
Ann, your attitude is the first step to beeing completely healed. Having a positive way of thinking, helps so much and I bet you are helping the other patients there as well. You make them think differently. Thank you for that!
(People told me often, that they could not believe how positive I was, but hey: I had it good. I knew I could be healed. Other peoples fates are worse. And I did survive!)
I loved your quote about cancer not "having" you. All the best to you and your family from
Vibeke in Oslo
ps. You must be a wonderful roel model for your children (2 sons, I think?)ds
Your attitude is amazing . . . so many people let their illnesses define them, but you just kicked it to the curb! Hope you and your family had a great Easter - and the madras plaid is adorable!!
Have a great week!
I know you've heard it all, but I've seen it happen too many times...my mother was supposed to die of squamous carcinoma, but died 20 years later of something completely different - not cancer. My cousin was supposed to die from lukemiea...it's all about the attitude - it has to be almost obsessive, and worked from different directions - metaphysical, medical, mystical - whatever it takes. When I had my mine, I used positive affirmation tapes, medical, and spiritual, and much to some people's chagrin, I'm still here! Go get 'em, and don't forget to see yourself at your kids weddings, grandkids' graduations, and what ever else your dreams bring to you!
So uplifting! I've had a very draining day and your post has made me smile, so thank you.
And all power to you!
Such a great post. You are a real inspiration Ann.
Well, you could go cry in a corner, but we all know that's not you! Keep fighting and enjoy that pink wig.
You do have a choice! And you have chosen well. You are an inspiration. And here is hoping the positive attitude gets you through with flying colours!!
Amazingingly positive attitudes are good for the health, good for the soul. My close friend who is battling Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma appears to be winning her battle at this time. Although I don't think she's Irish, she's very stubborn whatever her nationality ;) .
There IS something about working out that makes a person feel as close to normal as possible. I don't think I would have had the same recovery period from my car accident had I not visited the gym and done what I could within doctor limits as soon as possible. I've fought through horrible headaches, muscle spasms, and severe neck/shoulder pain made better through whatever doctor approved exercise I could do at the gym. It sounds so selfish, but one of the things I was so mad about was regressing from my peak physical shape. One lady took that away from me in a split second and I am still clawing my way back, maybe it will take another 6 months to get back to the same place. We don't really think about how lucky a healthy body is until it is compromised in some way.
Physical strength, being in shape, is confidence. A type of security. It epitomizes internal strength, motivation, and desire as a fighting spirit in raw form. It goes hand in hand with a fighter attitude :) .
Ann, you know you are my hero! You have handled all of this amazingly well - and looked fabulous doing it. :-)
Ann,
I agree with Emmett - your attitude toward this is amazing - you'll kick butt for sure!
I have a group for you to sing with, if you're interested. I'm in the Heritage Chorale, out of Framingham, and we'll be taking auditions in the Fall - we rehearse Tues. nites, starting the day after Labor Day. Check out the website and Facebook page - www.heritagechorale.org or link from my Facebook page -
Best wishes and happy spring to you!
Janee Connor
Hugs to you, Anne. Raising a glass of Muscat wine in your honour!
I haven't read your blog in way too long - I didn't know you had breast cancer. And I've bought things from you since you first found out! I'm impressed that you've kept gorgeousfabrics running the way you have - you rock!
I'm so happy that you're not giving in and that you're taking good care of yourself physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Good luck on finishing your treatment. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Hugs,
Chantelle
Oh dear! So sorry I Frenchified your name yesterday, Ann. And I hadn't even started on that Muscat yet. ;) You have a great week!
Post a Comment